The Protex HD-34 is a nice middle of the road burglar fire safe with a myriad of different potential purposes. It has a perfect balance of price, security, fire resistance, and size that makes it a nice catch-all for someone seeking a basic but reliable safe. This safe could be used effectively for either home or the workplace and though it’s not ‘top of the line’ safe it is still formidable and nothing to be trifled with. Here we’ll look at some of the specifics and what exactly this safe has to offer.
- Outside: 13.13″ H x 14.13″ W x 12.88″ D
- Inside: 11.50″ H x 12.50″ W x 9.25″ D
- Interior Cubic Feet: 0.77
- Weight: 52 pounds
- Door Thickness: 2.5” with ?” solid steel plate
The burglary rating for the Protex HD-34 is the CDOJ (California Department of Justice) standard. While this isn’t a UL certification it still has its own merits and a rigorous testing procedure needed to meet the requirements for this certification. The requirments are:
- Shall be able to fully contain firearms and provide for their secure storage.
- Shall have a locking system consisting of at minimum a mechanical or electronic combination lock. The mechanical or electronic combination lock utilized by the safe shall have at least 10,000 possible combinations consisting of a minimum three numbers, letters, or symbols. The lock shall be protected by a case-hardened (Rc 60+) drill-resistant steel plate, or drill-resistant material of equivalent strength.
- Boltwork shall consist of a minimum of three steel locking bolts of at least ½ inch thickness that intrude from the door of the safe into the body of the safe or from the body of the safe into the door of the safe, which are operated by a separate handle and secured by the lock.
- Shall be capable of repeated use. The exterior walls shall be constructed of a minimum 12-gauge thick steel for a single-walled safe, or the sum of the steel walls shall add up to at least .100 inches for safes with two walls. Doors shall be constructed of a minimum of two layers of 12-gauge steel, or one layer of 7-gauge steel compound construction.
- Door hinges shall be protected to prevent the removal of the door. Protective features include, but are not limited to: hinges not exposed to the outside, interlocking door designs, dead bars, jeweler’s lugs and active or inactive locking bolts.
- Active chrome locking bolts 1 1/4″ diameter.
- 30 minutes fire protection (fire liner).
- Velvet lined interior (All walls and shelves).
- Battery powered digital electronic lock.
- Battery power override.
- 4 Pre-drilled anchor holes (bottom).
- Bolting hardware included for concrete floors.
- Electrostatic powder-coat with fine anti-corrosion and rust proof materials applied for durability.
- Key override.
- Easy to program.
- 2 Adjustable and removable shelves.
Ultimately it’s a solid safe with a nice balance of security and fire resistance when compared to its price. The HD-34 has a nice style to it and a size that would be very appropriate for an office or apartment. Though this safe is fairly basic it’s nothing to scoff at and should provide adequate security and fire resistance for basic items.
Share this post