According to the United States Postal Inspection Service, in 2018 nearly 2,500 suspects were arrested for mail and package theft. Imagine how many were not caught...
If you have ever experienced mail theft or porch piracy, then you know how important it is to find ways to protect your mail & packages from landing in the wrong hands. Most thieves will look for items such as bank statements, checks, utility bills, credit card statements, and cash.
- There were 1.4 million Identity theft complaints in 2020 according to the Consumer Sentinel Network (Download Acrobat Reader), maintained by the Federal Trade Commission.
- The majority of ID theft is perpetuated using low-tech methods such as stolen wallets, stolen mail and stolen trash.
- Mail theft is often under-reported because most people don’t realize their mail has been stolen.
How to Reduce the Risk of Mail & Package Theft
Luckily, there are several ways to reduce the risk of mail theft and porch piracy. Here are a few steps you can take to protect your mail from thieves:
- Use the letter slots inside your Post Office for your mail, or hand it to a letter carrier.
- Sign up for notifications of mail delivery from USPS and other carriers.
- Pick up your mail promptly after delivery.
- Do not leave it in your mailbox overnight.
- Tell your Post Office when you will be out of town, they can put a hold your mail until you return.
- Consider starting a neighborhood watch program.
- Report to the police if you see suspicious activity near mailboxes.
- Purchase a locking security mailbox.
For more online resources and report forms, visit the U.S. Postal Inspection Service.
Get A Locking Mailbox To Increase Security
Usually, the average residential mailbox does not come equipped with security features and thieves appreciate this, so one simple solution to help discourage mail theft is by investing in a locking security mailbox.
Our home safety professionals have chosen these 5 security mailboxes based on quality, durability, and customer satisfaction feedback.
Our Top 5 Security Mailboxes
Need help finding the mailbox that best fits your needs? Reach out to our home safety professionals!
Shop all Security Mailboxes