Note on Gun Safety: Protecting What Protects You
If you own a firearm or are considering purchasing one, it’s critical that you know proper gun safety practices to avoid injuries and ensure that your weapons function safely. Private parties in the United States own approximately 300 million guns and roughly 10 million guns are purchased each year. Fortunately, despite the growing number of guns in the U.S. the number of unintentional gun-related deaths has decreased significantly over the past few decades. Part of the decrease behind gun-related deaths could be attributed to proper gun storage, training, and safety practices. Below are 10 rules every gun owner should adhere to:
- Treat every gun as it fits loaded.
- Keep your gun unloaded until it’s ready to use
- Always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction
- Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire
- Know your target and what is behind it.
- Wear proper safety gear
- Only use the correct ammunition
- Keep the gun in good working order
- Use a gun safefor storage
- Store your weapons securely