Do you have a place to put your handgun when you find yourself at a location that is a gun-free zone or weapons are not allowed? Examples include a federal facility like a post office, school, or courthouse. The glove box, center console, or trunk is not a very secure place to put it. Just locking the doors isn't enough to deter someone. They could break the window, access the inside of your vehicle, and take your weapon. Being a responsible gun owner by having a car gun safe is important to keep your weapon secure in your vehicle.
Many regulations on automobile carry are changing in many states. Here is an example of New Jersey's rules regarding a handgun in your vehicle. Check your state's regulations to make sure you are compliant.
All firearms transported into the State of New Jersey:
- Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gun box, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
- The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle’s glove compartment or console.
Not sure which car gun safe to choose? We have several types of handgun safes that will work inside a vehicle. Either in the center console, between the seats, or mounted under the seat. They can be mounted in the trunk if you don't have a good place to put them up front.
Here are some great safes for your vehicle.
- Both the Fort Knox PB4 Personal Pistol Safe and the Fort Knox Auto Pistol Safe are great choices for locking up your handgun in a vehicle. They both open from the front, giving you quick access using the Simplex mechanical lock. No batteries are needed! You can set your combination to whatever you want. If you want something secure, this is the way to go. It can either be mounted inside the vehicle, or you can use a security cable to secure it to something solid inside. The Fort Knox Auto is designed for smaller caliber handguns, and the Fort Knox Personal can be used for larger-sized handguns.
- The Liberty HD-200 & HD-300 Quick Vault Handgun & Pistol Safes also open from the front. These models use an electronic lock that gives you quick access, and you can set your combination. You do need to change batteries on these models. If you want quick access, these safes are the way to go. They can be mounted inside the vehicle, or you can use a security cable to secure them to a solid surface. If you have more than one handgun to store, the HD-300 will hold two comfortably inside.
- Vaultek's NSL20I Biometric Full-Size Rugged Slider Pistol Safe can sit vertically inside your vehicle. It can be mounted using the vehicle rail mount or universal car mount. You can remove the safe from the mounting plate and take it inside if you don't want to leave it in your vehicle. Quick access using your fingerprint plus three other entry methods are standard. It can hold a full-size firearm plus a spare magazine.
- The Hornady 98210 Rapid Vehicle Safe with RFID Lock can fit nearly any vehicle and protects interior finishes. This safe uses a large mounting plate that can be wedged between the seat and center console or between two seats in the vehicle. The inflatable air blatter allows the mounting plate to adjust to nearly any seat gap and provides a firm mounting location without modifying your vehicle. Plus, a 1,500 pounds security cable is included for attaching to the seat frame for additional security. You can access this safe using the RFID accessories such as a decal, key fob, watch band tag, or adjustable wristband.
- The Fort Knox CAB (20, 24, and 28's) are a large vehicle gun safe. These are designed to mount in the back or trunk of your vehicle. They can hold handgun(s), smaller rifles, and other valuable items inside. The Simplex 5 button lock is reliable, gives you quick access, and you can set your combination.
With all of these great options for a car gun safe, there is no reason you need to leave your handgun unsecured in your vehicle. Purchase one of these high-quality handgun safes, secure it inside, and you will have peace of mind that your weapon will always be secure. You don't want to become the statistic of those that had their weapon stolen from their car and then need a safe after the fact.